In a tweet earlier this week, Congresswoman Kristi Noem called the Republican War on Women a ‘myth.’ Aside from pointing out Noem’s obvious implication that women’s issues aren’t real issues , we thought we’d illuminate this so called “myth” for our Congresswoman.
So, let us count the ways in which the Washington Republican agenda is hurting women all over the country:
- Slash $2.4 trillion from Medicaid, in which women make up 70% of adult beneficiaries, denying life-saving health care to over 12 million women.
- Eliminate the Title X program, denying family planning services, breast and cervical cancer screenings, and other preventive health care to over 5 million low-income women.
- Slash $747 million from the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), jeopardizing food, counseling, and other support for over two million women, nearly five million children, and over two million infants
- Get rid of the Women’s Educational Equity program, which helps schools comply with Title IX, the law that prohibits sex discrimination in federally funded education programs.
- Cut funding for employment services, meals, and housing for senior citizens – over two-thirds of which include elderly poor women.
- Allow employers to deny women access to contraception through their health insurance plans.
- Gut all federal funding from Planned Parenthood health centers, one of the most trusted providers of basic health care and family planning for women in our country.