Many Unanswered Questions in Noem’s Healthcare Bill
South Dakota Democratic Party Communications Director Aaron Matson sent the following letter to the editors of the daily newspapers of South Dakota last week:
After waiting for six years to introduce a healthcare plan, Kristi Noem and her Republican colleagues on the Ways and Means Committee voted to rush their inadequate plan through committee at 3:30 a.m. CST this week, less than two days after the plan was made public – with almost no public input. With many important details unknown, Noem and Washington Republicans owe us honest answers to the following questions about this plan and what it would mean for South Dakotans before the process moves any further:
- How much will this plan cost?
- How many South Dakotans will lose their healthcare?
- How many South Dakotans will go bankrupt from medical bills?
- How will South Dakotans with healthcare through their employers be impacted?
- How much will premiums and out-of-pocket expenses go up for South Dakota families?
- How much more will South Dakota seniors pay for their health care?
Rushing a bill through committee in the dead of night to hide from public scrutiny is not leadership. Neither is dodging constituents by refusing to hold public events in our state. Rep. Noem’s profound lack of leadership should not be rewarded with the keys to the governor’s mansion.
Communications Director, South Dakota Democratic Party