The South Dakota Democratic Party will host its state convention on Thursday, June 26, 2014, through Saturday, June 28, 2014, at the Best Western Kelly Inn Hotel and the NFAA Easton Archery complex in Yankton, SD.
Democratic National Committee vice chair and former Minneapolis mayor RT Rybak will headline the convention banquet on Friday, June 27, at 7pm, along with special guests Senator Tim Johnson, US Senate candidate Rick Weiland, US House candidate Corinna Robinson, and Gubernatorial candidate Susan Wismer who is the first woman to be nominated for Governor by a major party in South Dakota history.
We have a room block under South Dakota Democratic Party. Make a hotel reservation at Yankton’s Best Western Kelly Inn by calling (605) 665-2906.
Deb Knecht, Chair of the South Dakota Democratic Party, encourages all Democrats to attend. “State convention is an opportunity for Democrats to come together, define our values, and create an agenda that moves South Dakota forward,” says Knecht. “We welcome all Democrats who want to take part to apply to be a delegate.”
About our keynote speaker:
After serving 12 years as mayor of Minneapolis, R.T. Rybak became executive director of Generation Next in January of 2014. In his current role he aims to make Minneapolis and St. Paul a national leader in innovative, cradle-to-career approaches to youth development, and works to highlight the crisis of our region’s achievement gap and advance effective strategies for ending it.
During his tenure as mayor, Rybak led efforts to revitalize north Minneapolis, attack juvenile crime, make Minneapolis a wireless city, end homelessness in 10 years, and significantly reduce the city’s energy consumption to combat global climate change.
He has been a DNC vice chair since September 2011. In her nomination letter, DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz wrote: “Mayor Rybak was the first mayor of a large U.S. city to endorse President Obama’s presidential campaign in early 2007. He is an incredible surrogate for the President and Democrats.”
A Minneapolis native, R.T. Rybak spent almost 30 years working in journalism, the commercial real estate business, publishing and the Internet before being elected mayor in his first run for public office. He and his wife Megan O’Hara, a communications consultant and local-food advocate, have two grown children.
SDDP State Convention Schedule [tentative]
June 26th-28th 2014
Thursday June 26
- 5PM-5:30PM Convention Co-Chairs meet- Best Western Kelly Inn
- 5:30PM-6:30PM Sub-Committees Meet: Order of Business, Rules, Resolutions and Credentials- Minervas, Best Western Kelly Inn
- 7PM-9PM SDDP Executive Board Meets- Best Western Kelly Inn Meeting Room D
- 7P-9P Yankton County Democrats Riverfest Reception – Riverside Park
Friday June 27
- 7AM – 8:30AM Continental Breakfast- NFAA
- Rep. Bernie Hunhoff presents “South Dakota’s 125th: We can do better.”
- 8:45AM-9:45AM Platform Committee of the Whole-NFAA
- 10AM- Noon Platform Sub-Committees Meet-NFAA
- Agriculture and rural life
- Economic Development
- Health Care
- Human Rights
- Labor and Employment
- Senior Issues
- State and Local Government
- Noon-1PM Lunch-NFAA
- The Cowboy Caucus presents “Life of the Cowboy from the State Capital” with Senator Billie Sutton, Senator Jason Frerichs, and Rep. Troy Heinert.
- 1:30PM-3:30PM Platform Sub-Committees Resume Meetings-NFAA
- 4PM – 5PM Platform Committee of the Whole-NFAA
- 6PM-7PM VIP & Founders Club Reception – Best Western
- 7PM-10PM Convention Banquet- Best Western
Saturday June 28th
- 8AM-9AM Continental Breakfast- NFAA
- Nancy Robrahn & Jennie Rosenkranz present “The Road to Marriage Equality in South Dakota”
- 9AM-Noon Delegates Meet-NFAA
- Noon-1PM Lunch- Minerva’s
- Ryan Rolfs, “Path to victory: An inside scoop on our strategy to increase Democratic turnout.”
- 1PM-2:30PM Floor Session-NFAA
- 2:30PM-4PM State Central Committee Meets-NFAA
- 4PM Adjourn