The South Dakota Democratic Party supports:
- That is based on a tax system which taxes all income levels fairly as allowed by the South Dakota State Constitution.
- That addresses the continuing serious flaws in our current system of taxing property and monitors changes that are proposed.
- That removes sales tax on food.
- That provide for the proper maintenance of the state and local infrastructure.
- That provide full funding of public education, recognizing that education is an investment.
- That provide adequate support to local governments commensurate with state mandates.
- That provide adequate support for the State Fair, significant cultural institutions, and the arts in South Dakota.
- That supports efforts to make government more efficient and more effective.
- That supports efforts to enhance citizen participation.
- That supports the principle of checks and balances in government and opposes unilateral executive branch decisions.
- That requires state government to adhere to the same restrictions that it places on county and local governments.
- That requires an independent non-partisan redistricting commission.
- That require enactment of single member state house districts.
- That enacts rules on equitable representation on commission appointments.
- That strengthens current efforts to ensure accountability, monitoring, and oversight of programs involving local, state or federal funds.
- That supports effective and thorough oversight with the authority to keep government officials accountable and transparent.
- That encourages intergovernmental cooperation.